Montag, 6. September 2010

Jennifer Egan gibt Auskunft

In einem Interview mit dem Blog Paper Cuts der New York Times erzählt die Romanautorin Jennifer Egan, wie sie schreibt:
My writing life has several distinct phases. Right now I’m creating rough material, which I do by hand, on yellow legal pads, sloppily and illegibly and with as little conscious thought as possible. I try to write between five and seven pages a day, starting in the morning, and it can take as little as an hour or as long as a day.
Und weiter:
Sometimes I’ll flail around for months in this state before I find a voice or a clear direction to move in, ... Of course, the actual prose is mostly terrible, and once I have a first draft I’ll spend years revising it, using maniacally detailed outlines and always working by hand on hard copies — I never write or edit fiction on a screen because I make bad choices when I do. I number my drafts, and by the time a book is done I’ll have 75 or 80 drafts of some sections.
Wahrhaftig: Writing is rewriting.